Thursday 15 May 2008

My glimpse of life on the ward ...

What is life really like at the West Middlesex University Hospital?

Last week I got my chance to find out by going in for a day and shadowing different members of staff.

My aim was to listen and learn from people who work at the heart of healthcare on a daily basis. I wanted to see patient care for myself. I wanted to understand the challenges that they face. I wanted to find out what they thought the priorities in the NHS were. This was a great opportunity to see healthcare in action and meet the doctors, matrons, nurses, clinical directors, assistant directors and clinical site managers, who make it all possible.

What did I find? ...

I found a hospital that had made tremendous efforts to improve and be a real community hospital - treating more cases than ever before, patients being treated faster than they have in the past, improving the financial management, controlling infection and developing new services.

I found staff whose commitment and dedication was evident. Who really loved what they did and tried to find creative solutions to issues within their working environment. It was great also to attend the annual Nursing & Midwifery Awards and meet many of the nurses who do such a superb job every day.

I also visited a hospital patient, David Mills, who has been a patient for twelve weeks in the WHUH Rehab ward. His wife, Narelle, enthusiastically praised the hospital and said that she had been really impressed with the care, attention and therapies that David had received. She thought the nursing staff were outstanding, the Speech and Language Therapists were excellent, and Hounslow Crossroads, who had given them brilliant, caring support at home, were superb.

Thanks so much to Tara Donnelly (Chief Executive) and the staff members I shadowed, who allowed me to come in and disturb their day! I did appreciate the time they took as I believe it is so important that politicians (or aspiring ones like myself) understand what the key issues are and listen to ideas from those who are experts in their fields.

The NHS and patient care are at the top of my agenda. I want to ensure that NHS resources get to the front line where it is needed most. I want less bureaucracy, less targets and more doctors and nurses where they are needed. I want to allow hospitals the freedom to invest and improve services as they want to, given their experience within their local communities. This is not about party politics. Healthcare is about people’s lives, their well-being, their fears and their needs. We have to get healthcare right.

Photo:
Patient David Mills in the Rehabilitation Ward with nurses, Olusola Oduneye, (top left), Mabinty Leigh (second from right), Desire Kigenyi (right), Daniel Rodrigues (bottom left) and Mary.

No comments: