I can hardly believe that a year has gone by since the General Election! It's been an incredibly busy year, balancing the workload in Parliament with responding to residents' emails and letters and getting out and about in the constituency.
I've met some wonderful people at my Advice Surgery and elsewhere and seen the fantastic work that is going on in businesses, schools and voluntary organisations across Chiswick, Brentford, Isleworth, Osterley and Hounslow.
It will be a challenging year ahead for many I know. I strongly believe, that working together, we can create a better and stronger local community for us all.
The early highlight of the year was stopping the 3rd runway at Heathrow. Throughout the year, it has been great to be able to make a difference, however small, in helping individual residents resolve their problems.
The lowlight so far was hearing about planned closures of Day Centres and other key local services but I am positive about continuing to work with local residents, campaigners and Hounslow Council to find a solution.
Top three issues during the past year
- Economy - working with businesses and people who are worried about their jobs and the impact of budget cuts
- Crime - understanding residents' concerns about crime hotspots and significant issues locally such as domestic violence, drug-related crime and knife crime
- Heathrow - confirming the continuation of runway alternation and campaigning to reduce the number of night flights
Top three challenges for the year ahead
- Welfare reform - getting people back into work, giving people the confidence to find a job and encouraging entrepreneurship
- School provision - supporting efforts to increase the number of school places in both primary and secondary schools
- London 2012 Olympics - working to ensure a successful Olympics, address transport issues and secure a lasting legacy in our area