Wednesday 26 August 2009

My Commitment to You on Expenses

Ever since the details of MP’s expenses were first published, people have been furious about the excessive, unacceptable and possibly illegal claims made by some of the people representing us in the House of Commons. As your local Conservative candidate, I want to make it clear to you that I will not play the system or bend the rules. Instead, I will abide by the standards that politicians expect others to live by.

When I was first selected for this constituency, I made it clear that if I was fortunate enough to be elected as the Member of Parliament for this area, I would not be claiming an additional central London home from the tax-payer. I am now making clear other specific commitments I will make to ensure that we rebuild trust back into the political process. I am giving local residents a clear choice between Ann Keen and I. One of the key differences will be on our approach to expenses.


If I am elected as Member of Parliament at the next General Election, I promise to:

  1. Not claim the allowance for an additional home in the centre of London.
  2. Publish on my website details of all my office expenses incurred as the Member of Parliament.
  3. Publish on my website details of all donations above £1,000, in line with Electoral Commission rules.
  4. Open up my unedited expenses claims to local newspapers at the end of every financial year.
  5. Never claim for day-to-day living expenses such as food, furniture or household goods.
  6. Hold regular surgeries so that local residents can ask directly about issues important to them.

3 comments:

Guy Lambert said...

Mary, what is your position on additional income. Will you pledge to live entirely on your income as an MP if elected?

Mary Macleod said...

I haven't any plans right now for doing additional work but I may at some point, depending on workload and time. I am not against MPs doing a little external work as long as their constituency work comes first and any other work is declared. We are all allowed some private time and can choose what we do with it!

Guy Lambert said...

Mary, Belated congratulations on your victory.
Have you decided yet whether you will do external work yo supplement your income as an MP?
What are your plans now?